Applying for a licence to handle ganja is simple. The Cannabis Licensing Authority has deliberately made it easy for persons to become involved in what promises to be an industry of great economic benefit to Jamaica. See below the simple steps required to gather and submit an application for any licence being issued by the Authority.
Licences will be issued in five different categories.
The Application Process
The application review process will be a multi-layered review comprising the following steps:
- Application completeness check
- Due diligence checks
- Pre-inspection checks
The detailed process and expected timelines can be found here.
- Complete Application Forms. Each of the following documents must be completed for new and renewal applications:
- Application for Licence [FORM 1A]
- Supplemental Information for Licence Application [FORM 1B]
- Application for Occupational Licences (Group) [FORM 2A]
- Declaration of Ownership/Change in Directors [FORM 2B]
- Consent of Owner [FORM 3]
Please also note that:
- If the applicant does not own the property/premises/motor vehicle being licensed, Form 3 “Consent of Owner Form” will also be required
- A separate set of application forms is required for each license being applied for.
- Use multiple copies of Form 2A and 2B if necessary
NB. Hard copy forms are also available at the Cannabis Licensing Authority, 18 Trafalgar Road, Kingston 10
- Gather all Supporting Documents: In addition to the above, the following documents must also be submitted:
- Tax Compliance Certificate
- Land Title or documents granting authority to access or use of the property for growing ganja
- Official Police Records – for Owner or all Directors, as well as for each employee
- Survey diagram of property and/or premises showing all distinct areas (with dimensions and partitions), including – but not limited to – entrance/exits, receival/loading areas and storage areas. Diagram does not have to be drawn to scale and should be on a single 8 ½ x 11 (letter-sized) paper.
- Constituent Documents (e.g. Articles of Incorporation, Partnership Agreement, etc.)
- Certificate of Registration
- Evidence of Application (in the case of an Application under the Cooperative or Friendly Societies Act, not yet approved)
For Cultivator Applicants:
- Letter of Agreement from prospective purchaser of raw material (if available)
- Passport-sized photo (certified by a Justice of the Peace)
- Copies of two (2) Government issued Identification
Please also note that:
- Please also note any additional documents requested on any of the relevant Application Forms.
- Only originals of the Police Record(s) will be accepted
- All copied documents submitted must be certified by a Justice of the Peace.
- Submit your Application. All completed application forms and all supporting documents must be placed in a single sealed envelope and delivered to:
Licensing and Applications Division
Cannabis Licensing Authority
18 Trafalgar Road
Await Feedback from the Cannabis Licensing Authority. The Authority will review your application for completeness and will notify you of any additional information that may be required. All applicants are required to pay a Non-Refundable Processing Fee (per license being applied for). The Application Processing Fee is US$300 for individuals and US$500 for all others. Do NOT pay this fee until you are advised by the Authority to provide proof of payment.